EARLY GOTHIC MASTERPIECE: THE SOUTH WING
The master builder and his studio responsible for the Paradise also built the early Gothic south wing in around 1210–1220. This wing of the cloister housed a bench used by the monks during evening reading, hence its name: the reading wing. The south cloister is canopied with a six-part ribbed vault. Narrow arched windows open toward the garden. The expertly worked foliated capitals are particularly striking and can also be seen in the Paradise and monks' refectory.