FROM MONASTERY TO SCHOOL
In 1504, the Württembergs conquered Maulbronn Monastery. During the Reformation, it ceased to be a religious institution and was given new, secular functions: It became the administrative center and began to resemble a Swabian city. With his new church order of 1556, Duke Christoph von Württemberg converted the 13 male monasteries into monastic schools. From then on, only evangelical ministers would be trained, even at Maulbronn.